Last time I wrote about how to deal with sinful desserts. But it is summer time, we really need an ice
cream here and there - just to survive. I share with you my super quick and super healthy ice cream recipe below. By the way this is not just mine but the whole family's favourite too.
Probably you know that the base of the original ice cream recipe is goose fat. Today most of the ice cream are made with cream, but the common in these that they are high in fat. This makes the ice cream creamy - and high in saturated fat and calories. Not to mention the strange name additional ingredients. Ready made ice creams look so appetizing but if you take the effort and look at the label, the ingredients list is not so attractive. Just to give you an example here it is a typical ingredient list of shop-bought ice creams:
- Reconstructed dried skimmed milk
- Vegetable fat (Palm oil? Coconut oil? we do not know)
- Glucose syrup
- Milk sugar
- Flavoured candy pieces
- Milk proteins
- Emulsifier (like Mono- and Di-Glycerides of Fatty Acids)
- Stabilizers (like Guar gum, Sodium Alginate, Locust Bean Gum, Xanthan Gum)
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Tapioca starch
- Humectant (Vegetable Glycerine)
Looking at this list, probably the only ingredient what you would use at making ice cream at home is sugar...
Making ice cream at home is a long process and you need an ice cream maker or time to stir it regularly. To be honest I have never tried to make a traditional ice cream myself, I just watched one of my friends doing it and it seemed to quite complicated to me. I can imagine that there are gourmet people out there who have the time and skill - and actually they are enjoying put together a proper home made ice cream. Well, I do not belong to this group.
As you know I always looking for a quick and healthy option.
My ice cream recipe is easy to make and really quick, takes about five minutes. Okay, it does not keep well, but you can make it any time. The other thing that you have to eat it quickly but this has never been a problem in my family.
You can vary the ingredients according to your taste. If you want to store some strawberries, raspberries for later it is time to pick or buy and put some into the freezer as they are in season now, so they are in their best.
Home made fruit ice cream
Ingredients for person:
- A handful of frozen strawberries (or other frozen berries)
- 1 tbsp yoghurt
- about 50 ml milk (add more if it is needed)
- pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- 1/2 tsp stevia or other sweetener if the fruit is not sweet enough
- Put the frozen fruit in the food processor or you can use a hand blender. (I always use a hand blender - as I do not have a food processor.)
- Add quickly the other ingredients and using your hand blender purée it quickly. The frozen fruit will cool the milk and yoghurt quickly.
- Scoop your ice cream quickly into a cone and enjoy it.
You can make this recipe using any frozen fruit really, like mixed berries, pineapple, banana etc. Just adjust the amount of milk carefully otherwise your ice cream becomes runny.
You can add, crystallised ginger, lemon zest, mint, dark chocolate chips (a small amount) or whatever you want. Just a couple of ideas: mint with strawberries, ginger with apricot, cinnamon with pear. I have never tried it but probably some lavender would work well with banana... Hm. I will definitely give a go this next time.