Tuesday 14 April 2015

HEALTHY HOME MADE FLATBREAD RECIPE

I love crispbread. My favourite is the Dr Karg whole grain crispbread but it is sometimes missing from the shops' shelves and it's price is just going up. So I was happy when I got an idea from my sister-in-law how to make a flat bread. I would not say it was an exact recipe...



Crispbread is perfect as a snack with hummus, with tomato salsa, with soft cheese, or just with an apple. It is perfect when I am on the go, or we ran out of bread...

I have thought that making a crispy flatbread must be difficult. Until I got an idea from my sister-in-law. I would not say it was a recipe as she was not able to tell me the exact quantities of the ingredients - not even an exact ingredients list. Anyway, I decided to make a yummy crispbread.

So I started experimenting and I have found out, that

#1 making crispbread is easy
#2 really quick
#3 very rewarding :-)


The idea is to make a wholemeal, multi-seed bread what is crispy but not too dry.
I made two versions: one savoury and one sweet bread. The savoury was made with Parmesan cheese and seeds, the sweet is with dried cherries and almond. However, you can use other

Multi-seed flat bread recipe

Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 12 minutes

Ingredients:

200g wholemeal flour
100g strong white flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 handful of mixed seeds like pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, sesame seeds - reserve some to scatter over the top
20g grated Parmesan cheese - reserve about 2 tbsp to sprinkle on top
20g coconut oil (you can use butter too - I used coconut oil as this gives extra crunchiness to the flat bread what I love)
6 tbsp sour cream
20 ml water
Egg white of 1 egg to egg wash the top



Step 1
Pre-heat the oven to 180 C fan, (350F, Gas Mark 4)
Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl: wholemeal and white flour, seeds, baking powder and grated cheese (reserving about 2 tbsp of cheese to sprinkle on the top later).

Step 2
Melt the coconut oil and add to the flour and seed mixture and make a crumble.

Step 3
Add the sour cream and water and knead the dough. It does not need too much kneading, just let the ingredients come together. You will get a dry dough.

Step 4
Roll out the dough into a 3 mm thickness sheet and cut 5*10cm rectangles. Eggwash their top and scatter with seeds.

Step 5
Bake the crisp breads on 180 C in a fan assisted oven for 10-12 minutes until they are golden and crispy.

These flatbreads keep well in an airtight container for 2-3 days and they are delicious after toasting them in the toaster for a couple of minutes.
They are crispy but do not expect that dry crunchy- brittle texture what a shop-bought crispbread can give you. But the taste is much better.

They are really quick to make and I love them with a nice bowl of soup while they are still warm.
Or with salad... Or with some soft cheese on top... or with aubergine spread ... or with tapenade. Or as a snack with some grapes or apple...

Sweet mini flatbreads recipe



For the recipe of the sweet version, click here: sweet mini flatbreads with almond and dried cherries.

No comments:

Post a Comment