Thursday 26 February 2015

APPLE CRUMBLE - HOW TO MAKE IT HEALTHY

healthy recipesI love apple crumble. When somebody tells me that English cuisine is bit blend, I am always arguing, because there are overlooked and modest treasures - like crumbles. They give all what you need on a rainy day: they are sweet, warm and healthy. Well, this last one is just half true: fruits are okay, but the the crumble...
So I made a twist on this classic recipe and the result is not just a healthier version, but a delicious and crunchy topping - it's guaranteed. :-)

Healthy twist on the classic apple crumble



There is nothing more warming on a rainy, windy day than a nice bowl of apple crumble. I have never met anybody who would not like it. But we have to admit that apple crumble is a two-faced dessert: it can provide 1 of your 5-a-day, but the crumble is only sugar/carbohydrate and saturated fat and these are not so good for us. But it would be shame to avoid this brilliant dessert.

So I have decided to give a facelift to the crumble, and I have to say this version is a family favourite today. Even my mother-in-law - who is visiting us for a couple of weeks every year - always asks me to make apple crumble for her. It is an easy way to make her happy :-)

In this recipe I use walnut and cinnamon, but sometimes I add ground almond instead and omit the cinnamon.

---

APPLE CRUMBLE - MY HEALTHY TREAT


healthy recipes


Ingredients:
about 6-8 apple (or pear or other fruits)

Crumble:
3 bricks of Weetabix
big handful of walnuts
1 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp butter
3 tbsp sugar

1. Core and chop the apples (or prepare the fruits).

healthy recipes


2. Lightly butter the bottom of a medium size tin (mine is a 15*20 cm squared tin) and place the fruit into it.
healthy recipes

3. The quickest way to make this if you use a food processor or mini chopper: put all the ingredients into your food processor and whizz until you get the familiar crumble texture.
If you use your hands, crumble the Weetabix into a bowl first, then add the grounded or finely chopped walnut and the rest of the ingredients. Quickly work them together and sprinkle on the top of your fruits.


healthy recipes

4. Bake it in the oven on 180 degrees for 30 minutes or until the fruit is soft and the crumble is a little bit brown and crunchy.

healthy recipes


---

Make it yours - and even healthier


The variation of fruits is really endless. My favourite version is scattered by frozen blackberry onto the apple, yum. My kids love it when I add a chopped banana to the apple crumble, as the banana melt into the crumble and make the fruit layer a bit creamy.
If you want to make a really warming version you can add very finally chopped ginger to the apple: this and the cinnamon is a real hit if you are suffering from cold or flu.

As every crumble - this one, too is lovely with the classic custard, but we love it topped with natural live yoghurt. I know, you think I am obsessed with yoghurt. And you know what? You are right, I am, and I grab every opportunity so show a way when it can be smuggled into the family diet. :-)




No comments:

Post a Comment