Slimming mum's secret friend. No, it is not what you think. Mum's best friend is The Smoothie. Perfect partner, just make it yours.
Why smoothie deserved the "Mum's best friend" title?
- It is tasty, basically a healthy treat. There is no child who would refuse a glass of this delicious drink.
- Secret weapon if you want to smuggle more fruit or veg into you child's or into your own diet.
- Healthy: you can make it high fibre, low calorie, one of your 5-a-day.
- It is filling: ideal breakfast or snack if you want to lose weight.
- It is cheap as you can use up old fruits before they go bad or even leftover fruit salads.
- The number of variations is endless. Surely you find at least one recipe what you will fall in love with.
- Quick: Preparation time is 2 minutes.
- Always handy: If you don not have fresh fruit and veg you can use frozen or dried fruit.
- Not seasonal, you can make it all around the year.
- You can have a smoothie all around the clock: there are perfect-day-starter smoothies, snack smoothies between breakfast and lunch, or afternoon -treat smoothies and good-night-sleep-well smoothies.
Are you a beginner?
Be careful as not every smoothie is weight-loss-friendly. Avoid sugar, ice cream or cream when you make a smoothie. The best if you make your own smoothie so you will know it is what is in it. Be creative and experiment!
Here is my short smoothie-ologie
Choose at least one ingredient from every each group below to put together your own creation:
- For the sweet taste and texture: 1/2 banana or 3-4 dried dates or 1 ripe sweet pear or 1 ripe sweet apple. (Important: no added sugar or sweetener needed! These fruits deliver the sweet taste)
- For the freshness: a handful of fresh or frozen strawberries, raspberries, redcurrants, blackcurrants, blackberries, blueberries or a mixture of these; pineapple, peaches, oranges, apricot, spinach,, celery, carrots, beetroot
- For the fibre: 1 tsp wheat germ or wheat bran or flaxseed or 2 prunes
- For the tickling sensation: cinnamon, ground ginger, vanilla extract, nutmeg, lemon or lime juice, lemon or lime zest
- You can add 1-2 tbsp live natural yoghurt or milk too. If you find your smoothie too thick just add some water.
Only for the brave
And finally a recipe what is my newest favourite at the moment. I know it looks a bit scary, but it is so refreshing. If you do not like the taste of spinach, this is the perfect solution for you, as it's taste does not dominate here.
Banana and Spinach smoothie
1 small banana
juice of 1/2 lime
1 handful of spinach
100 ml water